Most oat milks you find in the supermarkets may be more expensive and may contain added sugar or sweeteners.
So when purchasing a plant based milk, look for unsweetened / no sugar added options, preferably fortified with A, D, B2 and B12 vitamins.
Oat milk is a delicious and great option, not only for those with dietary restrictions, and is very simple to make at home and has amazing qualities
- High in Fiber
- No sugar added
- Gluten free
- Lactose, Soy and Nut free
- Easy and cheap
So why not trying preparing oat milk at home?
Naturally sweet and creamy, oat milk is perfect for granola, oatmeal, overnight oats, matcha or golden lattes, smoothies and more!
- 1 cup / 90 g rolled oats (or steel-cut oats)
- 4 cups / 960 ml water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or 1 pitted date (optional, for sweetness )
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or vanilla extract (optional)
- Add oats, water, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt to a high-speed blender and blend for 30-45 seconds
- Taste flavour for sweetness and add more maple syrup (or pitted dates), if desired
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and strain the milk without pushing any excess pulp through the strainer. This will create a creamier texture.
- Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate
- Shake well and enjoy chilled
Extra tip on how to make flavored oat mill: you can also add cacao powder (2 tbsp), or berries (22g / ¼ cup) when blending for added flavor and different chocolately or fruity taste!
How long does oat milk keep?
Sealed in the refrigerator, oat milk keeps about 5 days.
Is oat milk gluten-free?
Use certified gluten-free oats to prepare gluten free oat milk that is suitable for celiacs and gluten intolerants
Why did my oat milk separate?
Separation is absolutely normal. Simply shake well before use.
Is oat milk healthier than dairy milk?
Oat milk, like any plant based milk, is a great solution for anybody concerned about animal welfare and sustainability. Reports have shown that animal agricolture is the most destructive and unsustanable industry facing the planet today.
Luckily these information spread all over the globe and they increased our awareness regarding animal cruelty and harm to environment caused by meat processing and dairy industry.
Furthermore, homemade oat milk has excellent health behefits like:
- Low in fat and dairy free
- High in fibre, that support healthy digestion
- High in vitamins
- Replaces saturated fats (found in cow’s milk) with unsaturated fats
- Lower cholesterol
- Bone strengthening minerals
Is oat milk healthing than almond milk?
Oat milk and almond milk are both nutritious dairy milk alternatives rich in calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin A. Oat milk is the better option if you have a nut allergy.
For both oat and almond milks, look for ones that say "unsweetened" or “no added sugars” on the package, and check the nutrition facts label to ensure there's 0g of added sugar per serving.
If you're choosing oat milk for its perceived weight-loss benefits, just remember that it has slightly more calories than unsweetened almond milk.
Is it cheaper to make your own oat milk?
Yes! It's a whole lot cheaper, especially if you already have a high-powered blender making your own oat milk is significantly cheaper.
Is oat milk good for weight loss?
Oat milk is rich in nutrients and minerals that enhance health, in addition to being low-calorie. The low-calorie content makes oat milk an excellent dairy milk alternative for those trying to lose weight
P.S. Find more delicious healthy recipes on our blog!
Author: Simona, Co-Founder at Crowhealth